Korean Grammar100-4


All right, let’s start lesson no. 4. The fourth sentence structure is “S1V1할 때 S2V2합니다/했습니다.”, which means “When S1 V1 ~, S2 V2 ~”. As you can see, there are two subjects and two verbs in this sentence. And the letter, functions as a conjunction, ‘when’ in English.
And 합니다 is the present tense form, and 했습니다 is the past tense form.
As you can see double [si-ot], that is to say, [ssang-si-ot] under , this final sound, which is also called 받침[bat-chim], represents the past tense.
 
OK, the schematic diagram is as follows.
 
1. 당신이 외로울 때 제가 당신 곁에 있어줄게요.
When you feel lonely, I will stay with you.
당신 is ‘you’, and is the subjective case. 외로울 때 came from an adjective, 외로운, which means ‘lonely’. The final sound under has been replaced with , and is placed behind it, so 외로운 is changed into 외로울 때. All right, to sum up so far, 당신이 외로울 때 is the same as ‘When you feel lonely’. 제가 is ‘I’ as an honorific form of 내가. And 곁에 is ‘with’, and 있어줄게요 is ‘I will stay’.
So, 당신이 외로울 때 제가 당신 곁에 있어줄게요.
When you feel lonely, I will stay with you.
 
2. 당신이 저에게 전화했을 때 저는 샤워를 하고 있었습니다.
When you called me, I was taking a shower.
당신이 is ‘you’, and 저에게 is used as an object of the verb, 전화하다, which means ‘to call’, so 당신이 저에게 전화했을 때 is the same as ‘When you called me’.
And 저는 is ‘I’, and 샤워 is written as it sounds in English word, ‘shower’, and is the objective case. By the way, 샤워하다 is ‘to take a shower’. And 샤워를 하고 있었습니다 is the past progressive tense form, so 샤워를 하고 있었습니다 is ‘was taking a shower’.
So, 당신이 저에게 전화했을 때 저는 샤워를 하고 있었습니다.
When you called me, I was taking a shower.
 
3. 해가 졌을 때 우리는 집으로 돌아왔습니다.
When the sun had set, we returned home.
is ‘the sun’, and is the subjective case. 졌을 때 is composed of 졌다 and . 졌다 is the past tense form of 지다, which means ‘the sun sets’, and as I said, is the conjunction, ‘when’, right? So, 해가 졌을 때 is the same as ‘When the sun had set’. 우리는 is ‘we’, and is ‘home’, and 으로 is a kind of postposition representing direction. And 돌아왔습니다 is the past tense form of 돌아오다, which means ‘to return’.
So, 해가 졌을 때 우리는 집으로 돌아왔습니다.
When the sun had set, we returned home.
 
4. 당신이 한국어를 공부할 때 K드라마가 도움이 될 것입니다.
When you study Korean, K-dramas will be helpful.
당신이 is ‘you’, and 한국 is ‘Korea’, and the letter, means ‘language’, so 한국어 is ‘Korean language’, right? is the objective case, and 공부할 때 is also composed of 공부하다 and . 공부하다 is ‘to study’, and if you remove , and place the final sound under , and place behind it, that is to say, 공부할 때, this is the same as ‘when you study’. So, 당신이 한국어를 공부할 때 is ‘When you study Korean’ And 드라마 is written as it sounds in English word, ‘drama’, and is the subjective case. 도움이 될 것입니다 can be divided into 도움이 되는 and ㄹ것입니다. The first is ‘helpful’, and the other is ‘will’. If you remove , and place the final sound under , that is ‘will be helpful’.
So, 당신이 한국어를 공부할 때 K드라마가 도움이 될 것입니다.
When you study Korean, K-dramas will be helpful.
 
5. 제가 길을 걷고 있을 때 저는 저의 친구 중의 한 사람을 만났습니다.
When I was walking on the street, I met a friend of mine.
제가 is ‘I’, and is ‘street’, and 길을 걷다 is ‘to walk on the street’, but 길을 걷고 있을 때 is the past progressive tense form, ‘was walking on the street’, so 제가 길을 걷고 있을 때 is ‘When I was walking on the street’. 저는 is ‘I’, and 저의 is ‘my’, 친구 is ‘friend’. And 중의 is ‘among’, and is ‘one’, and 사람 is ‘person’, but if we combine these words, that is to say, 저의 친구 중의 한 사람 can be expressed as ‘a friend of mine’ in English, right?
And is the objective case, and 만났습니다 is the past tense form of 만나다, which means ‘to meet’.
So, 제가 길을 걷고 있을 때 저는 저의 친구 중의 한 사람을 만났습니다.
When I was walking on the street, I met a friend of mine.
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments